Phase 4 of World Record breaking Solar Power Project to open in Dubai.
The Noor Energy 1 project is set to break 8 world records for Concentrated Solar Power (“CSP”). The energy facility which will produce 950MW of CSP+PV (Photovoltaic) is the fourth phase of Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park in Dubai. At total capacity the Solar Park will reach 5,000 megawatts (MW) by 2030 and can be considered as a benchmark for the global solar thermal power industry, and will be considered Dubai’s major contributor as they continue their transformation into a global clean and renewable energy hub and accelerate its shift towards solar power.
Once completed it will become the world’s tallest CSP tower, standing at 260 metres in height. The concrete tower has been constructed to mount the solar receiver, requiring a specialised structural design solution for a transfer zone 50.0 metres above ground level, where the structure converts from a three-sided square section to a circular section.
Engaged by The Second Construction Co. LTD. Of China Construction Third Engineering Bureau (the Main Contractor), StrongForce were asked to provide a specialised structural solution within the constraints of the structures existing parameters. The full design and construct solution consisted of a cast in-situ multi-strand post tension beam, spanning 37.0 metres in length, 4.0 metres in height with over 65,000KN of force applied to withhold loads applied from the additional 210.0 metres of suspended structure.
The 8 Records set to be broken by the Solar Park are as follows:
• World tallest CSP tower standing at 260 metres in height
• World largest single-site investment project in CSP based on IPP model [USD 4.4 billion/AED 15.78 billion]
• World largest capacity of single CSP+PV project [950MW]
• World largest area of single CSP+PV project [44 square kilometers]
• World biggest quantity of molten salt used in single CSP project [550,000 tons]
• World leading tower wireless heliostat technology [70,000 heliostats]
• World largest trough in commercial CSP project [8.2m]
• Most competitive LCOE (Levelized Cost of Energy) [USD 7.3 cents /kWh]